© Associated Train Crew Union.

Associated Train  Crew  Union

ATCU, an accountable and democratic independent Union founded to address the issues affecting all our colleagues and to meet the aspirations of all those working in the rail  industry.

Break the chains of slavery and let your voice be your freedom

A  Rail Revolution


Don’t despair, there is help

The vast majority of us have family members or someone who we know that is disabled. To be disabled is a difficult road in life to travel but increasingly the government are making such a journey even more complicated. This is more so when disabled people seek the financial support that helps them live a full and active life that we sometimes, unknowingly, take for granted.

2011 saw new changes to financial benefit for people who are unable to work due to incapacity or illness. Out went the old incapacity benefit and in came the employment and support allowance (ESA) and with it an over convoluted structure that is complex and unclear and something that would drain the energy from the most of us.

The whole structure is interspersed with acronyms such as LCWA, LCWRA , WCA,  WRAG, WFHRA, PIP and don’t forget the forms DS1500 or ESA50A but most important is the deadlines. Miss these and you are instantly penalised. For example, there is one month from the date on one decision letter deadline for asking for a reconsideration. If you miss this deadline and the Department for Works and Pension don’t accept your reason for lateness then there appears to be no way of challenging this at all, other than perhaps by a very complex judicial review. Instead, you are likely to have to attempt a fresh claim.

But don’t despair, there is help. We have found an excellent organisation called Benefits and Work who are completely independent and they only care about helping you. They do this by providing you with the most honest, detailed and practical information available anywhere. So, if you want to give yourself the best possible chance of a successful claim, learn how they can help you with your: employment and support allowance claim, employment and support allowance medical, employment and support allowance appeal or Personal Independence Payment (which replaced Disability Living Allowance for new applicants)

Click on the Benefit and Work image to take you to their website:

News family news